Countdown timers

Alvin and the Chipmunks. "Bad day"

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Potentially habitable planet found

Potentially habitable planet found By SETH BORENSTEIN, AP Science Writer.

The planet is named 581 c, which circles a red dwarf star Gliese 581. Man, this sounds like some triller friction movie script.

As quoted, "The planet is just the right size, might have water in liquid form, and in galactic terms is relatively nearby at 120 trillion miles away".

Lets do our maths. 120 trillion miles = 120,000 billion miles = 120,000,000 million miles = 120,000,000,000,000 miles, and 1 mile = 1.609 344 kilometer, calculate yourself. My calculator showed me the "E" sign.

If you are seeing too many zeros, i can simply put it this way... 20.5 light years away from earth, meaning to say, if you are travelling at the speed of light, it would take you 20.5 years to reach 581 c. You would prob said "Are we there yet" trillions of times.

Me? i would not want to go there. Couple of reasons.

1) I will die before i reach there. (There's no such thing as a transport system that allows you to travel at the speed of light, and even there is, i would not want to spend 20.5 years on travelling)

2) I am already very heavy. I don't want to be heavier, as the gravity is 1.6 times the earth.

3) I don't want to buy birthday presents once every 13 days to my friends, since it orbits its star every 13 days. I will be dead broke.

But still, its interesting. Who knows? ET is from that planet!!!

No comments: