Countdown timers

Alvin and the Chipmunks. "Bad day"

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Lessons learned the hard way

The disappointment feeling did continue yesterday. And i thought it was over... Wrong.

I always knew i am not cut out to teach. I cannot be a teacher. Somehow one way or another, i always learn from my mistakes. Some stupid, careless mistake which i always overlook, some finer point of details which i always missed out.

Take First Aid for example. Ask me to do, and i can do it. Ask me to teach some members (who has the basic foundation of First Aid) and i still can do it, but there's always some points which i will miss out, and ask me to teach a group of people who has not absolute idea of what the hell first aid is, and i will "strumble".

I always believe teaching is to allow the students to have a complete understanding of the principles of "why do we need to do that", "why do we have to be careful of that" stuff. Telling them the procedures of doing for example, CPR, and they will just do CPR. But tell them why do they need to follow the procedures, i believe they will be able to remember the procedure better.

Yesterday night is Vincent's first flight of flying RC kite. AF and Viper was not around. Only me and ZX was around.

I took the task of teaching Vincent how to fly and the tricks of flying. ZX came and join us later.

Vincent was into RC stuffs since young. He played RC heli before, and now, he is playing RC cars (those type that runs on liquid fuel, not batteries, mind you), and he is now going into RC kites. In a way, he will learn faster and better, coz of his RC foundation.

I was so engrossed into telling him the tricks of controlling the kite, to allow it to stay in the air, till i miss out something very important. Trimming his kite on the transmitter. You can actually trim a kite till it is very "floatable" in the air. ZX later trimmed the kite and Vincent actually finds it easiler to fly.

Lesson learned. Next time when there's a need "which i don't think so" for me to teach new flyers on the tricks of kite flying, i must trim the kite first.

Why must i always learn the lesson the hard way??

No comments: