Countdown timers

Alvin and the Chipmunks. "Bad day"

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Shortcuts

Someone mentioned that my last post is depressing... Well, maybe i am depressed, that's why my post is depressing.

Its true that from the msg, or post of an fellow, be it strangers or friends, you can have an idea of the fellow's mood when he/she is posting, or messaging, coz the feelings of the writer is transcripted into words and displayed for everyone to digest.

Lets talk about short cuts today.

Why suddenly shortcuts? Okie. I happened to view a safety message at workplace today, and it started me into "brainstorming" mode.

The safety message read "Shortcuts in life cuts life short"

My brain started working on this message, to digest it, to uncover the truth and the reasoning behind the message. To seek greater wisdom behind the simple and humble message. My brain started to have an increasing in activity, moving from 20 KpH to 120 KpH.

From the useful website, www.dictionary.com, shortcut is defined as:
1. A more direct route than the customary one.
2. A means of saving time or effort.

So, what does the safety message mean?

Well, its in my workplace, of course, it means A means of saving time or effort. And also, it means about the safety procedures and checklist, safety briefs, inspections etc etc... All those knows that safety cannot be compromised, as it will lead to a loss of life, man-hours losses, money losses, as well as a potential lawsuit. So, i assume that the message is meant for the safety procedures etc....

Think of it again. What happen if i put the same message into my van?

The meaning changes. It means a shorter and/or more direct route for travelling. In this case, does shortcuts really cuts your life short? I don't think so. Unless you are driving again the flow of traffic, and that's an idiotic thing to do.

What if your parents tell you that message?

Does it means shortcuts to studies? Or shortcuts while walking home alone along a dark, silent alley? The meaning changes again. Shortcuts to studies may or may not work. Most of you will concur with me that some fellow who took shortcuts are successful in life. ( I took shortcuts in my studies too, but i am yet to become successful)

Walking home via short-cuts? Well, as parents and police say, "its very dangerous." I will say, it depends on your heng sway. But then, why play with luck?

What if that message appears in an ambulance or any other emergency vehicle?

Then in that case, i dun think that will work, coz shortcuts means a saving of time, (izzit?) and all ppl out there, even idiots like me (i am an IT idiot, remember?) knows that time is very critical in an emergency, be it a medical emergency or criminal case emergency. So, in this case, that message cannot be used.

So, depending on where the message appears, the meaning is different, and in some cases, it does apply at all!

By the way, i saw this message in the toilet of my work place, above the urinal, as i was peeing.

What's the meaning? I leave to all your reader's imagination to find out.

No comments: