Countdown timers

Alvin and the Chipmunks. "Bad day"

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Duties and RTA

Its back again. After a absence of about 1 month, i am back. Back to the world of duty siaos.

Duty Siaos in SJAB is defined as " Someone who is si bei siao on in duties, be it big, small, major, minor."

Having 3 duties in 3 days, including an overnight duty. Fantastic? I did not went home for almost 30 hours. In the 30 hours, more than 24 hours are spent in doing duties, for the TP soccer maniac camp and National Dragonboat Championships. In fact, its more than just the duties, as i had encountered an RTA (again?!?!?) at Yishun on Sat morning.

Senting someone back after an duty, i saw an accident. Bike was underneath a taxi. Slowed down to see if there's any casualty, but i saw no one. (I swear i did not see the licence plate of the vehicles involved). I was WRONG! I am not observant enough.

On the way back, on the opposite lane, i saw the casualty. He was about 2 lanes (extremely right lane, besides the kerb) away from the bike, with a car just beside him. I realised that the car was blocking the view of the casualty when i was there eariler. But if at that time, if i was observant enough, i could have seen the casulty. Lesson learned. Do not assume that there's no casualty if you cannot see any casualty besides the accident vehicle.

Anyway, as i was approaching, i got an instinct to change lanes so as to have a better view of the accident. That's when i saw the casualty and the approaching SCDF ambulance in the distance. I made a split second decision to stop and access the casualty, another instinct. (Normally, i would not stop if the ambulance had arrived).

First thing i saw was that the casualty was lying at an angle, leaning against the kerb. His eyes were open, but he was not moving. I check his response, and he replied. He is consious and alert. He is in a state of shock, his eyes were opened wide, in a shocked manner. Then i did a visual check on his body, and realised that he has a fracture on his leg, just above the ankle. ( i could not recall which leg). By that time, upon my instructions to the passerby, the ambulance was directed and stopped.

I approach the medic, a SGT, male, and informed him that the casualty had substain fractures on his leg. He brush me aside, he did not even acknowledge my information. Another typical arrogent SCDF officer who did not trust me. (Its not the first time, and i am not sure its the last time). Not all SCDF officers are like that. Some took my assessment seriously.

Anyway, i stood one side and allow the officers to take over. I noticed one thing. The officers did not attempt to calm the casualty down, especially when his legs are being immobalised. The casualty grimed in pain, and i have to step forward to reassure the casualty.

After that, the next aim is to apply collar and transfer the casualty to the trolley cot. I was kneeling by the side of the casualty's head, reassuring the casualty when an officer approached the casualty with a collar. I just took the collar from him and started to secure it to his neck, but at that time, he was on the phone with his loved ones. So, i wait a while for him to finish his call, meanwhile, telling him that i need to apply collar and he needs to take the phone away for a while.

The SGT medic, upon seeing this, just took over from me, and apply the collar without talking to the casualty. Next is the challenging task. How to TOC to the trolley cot. There's no space at all as the casulty was between the kerb and a car. There's no space even for a canvas stretcher.

The Medic told his men to take the canvas, and the man just replied back," Canvas???" I got fed up. I lok around. The area behind the car was clear, with a breakdown sign about 5 meters behind. I asked loudly." Who is the driver of this car?" A fellow raised up his hand.

I continued " Are you involved in the accident in any way?"

"No", he replied.

"I want you to reverse your car slowly till i ask you to stop", i informed him.

He complied. With the SCDF officers securing the casualty, i guided the driver to reverse till there's a lane of free space. Hence, the trolley cot could went in all the way too beside the casualty. I went back to the casualty, and assist the officers in securing the head.

Then it hit me. I am the number 1 man in this case. I am the commander now. I looked around. I checked that all are ready in moving the casualty to the trolley cot. I gave the timing. Casualty moved. I assist in raising up the trolley cot too, and i gave the timing for it to be raised.

Then i stopped the traffic to allow the casualty to load up into the ambulance. ( The police are there, but there are busy reccording statements). After that, i had a word with the police and got the green light to leave the scene. An kind passerby (former SCDF officer) stopped the traffic for me to shift my van back into the main traffic flow.

Hmmm... Kinda interesting days i am having. RTAs and RTAs and RTAs...

No comments: