Countdown timers

Alvin and the Chipmunks. "Bad day"

Thursday, January 25, 2007

SJAB Z3

In my last post, i talked about the BP WLNY Supper Club / kite flying ppl, whom i enjoyed hanging out with.

In this post, I shall focus on another group. My SJAB Zone 3 family. Duty Siaos will feature in my next post.

All those who knew me closely knows that i was formerly not a SJAB member in my secondary school days. How did I end up as a Senior NCO in SJAB zone 3? This question was posted to me by many SJAB officers in other zones, and other external ppl.

During my secondary school days, i was from NPCC (Nationa Police Cadet Corps), WDL Unit. Joining SJAB did not cross my mind at all. I almost cannot join NPCC. Though i put NPCC as my first choice, i got into NCC (National Cadet Corps). I failed the medical check-up for NCC recuits. (Why? i dunno. No reason given).

So, i joined NPCC. Attained the Rank of SSG, and went on to become a CI (D94 batch).

It was in my poly where i met a good friend of mind. GK. He was from SJAB, Zone 3.

It started in 1998 where he suddenly asked if i am interested to be a external instructor in his zone's NCO course. I agreed.

On that day, i wore my NPCC CI uniform, and talked about logistic / inventory book-keeping to the future NCOs, wearing SJAB uniform in SJAB HQ. My presense raised a few eye-brows in SJAB HQ, especially to non- zone 3 members and officers.

Come the NCOC Camp. GK just got his driving license, and hence, could not drive the ambulance. I volunteered to help. Registered my name, and started driving the ambulance for the camp.

Once i started, ppl (LCB) started to ask my help to drive ambulances for duties. That's how i got more involved into SJAB.

NS came. I had to quit from NPCC (a Singapore policy), and after NS, 2002, the Zone Supt, (now Zone Comm) gave me an invitation to join in as a uniformed member of the brigade. After much consideration, i agreed.

That's the story.

Anyway, i never regret joining SJAB. Its like a family to me. Zone 3 is unique in a way, process something that does not exist in other zones. SJAB also taught me about first aid, a skill that comes in useful in many times, (dealing with life and death is not a joking manner).

Zone 3 officers at SIN-MA Competition Dinner, i am not in uniform...

Me, DT, HS and LCB together with the newly commissioned officers in 2005. Same thing, i am not in uniformed. There's a story behind that.

Zone 3 officers during the annual brigade dinner, 2006. The "3" has become our trademark. Few of us went straight down to Sentosa for Zouk Out duty straight after the dinner.

Zone 3 lady officers during NCOC 2006. That day happens to be DT's birthday too.

Zone 3 male officers with DT.

Zone 3... Prob the best zone in the world...

No comments: