Countdown timers

Alvin and the Chipmunks. "Bad day"

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Night shifts

Hmmm... i posted something about me working afternoon shift a few days ago. But for the last 2 days, i was working night shift.

Same thing. It's been ages (more than 1/2 year, i think) since i work the graveyard shift. The feeling of being alone, in the office, with about less than 10 ppl in the whole building.

I still remember my first night shift, when i first join the company. Was looking forward to it, actually. Thoughts of being alone in the office, extra $$ (that time, i was still entitled to shift allowances), doing nothing except constant monitoring of the fermentation process.

I spend the first few hours going back to the monitoring computer faithfully. At maybe, 15 minutes intervals. At the same time, i always check the temperature of the vacuum dryer cooling water (running at the same time), changing the water once its gets too warm.

Then came a time, i went up for a smoke break. Encountered 3 other ppl from PSB working night shift also. Chatted with them, and they invited me for supper. They will call me when it's time.

Soon, the time came, and we went behind NUS for supper. Once full, and back to the comfort of the office, i have a tendency to get sleepy. First night shift, a bit siao on, so, did not sleep...

Well, as time passes by, one tends to slack. I did slack, catching time for a nap till the next monitoring time. But i did not compromise the monitoring... To the extend that i even have my own reserve sleeping quarters on a metal shelf. Ask Halim about it, and he knows. And time passes by, its my turn to jio ppl for supper instead of other ppl jio me...

Since my position changed, i did not do anymore night shift... till now. Quite boring actually, but i came prepared yesterday night, with my guitar.

No comments: