Countdown timers

Alvin and the Chipmunks. "Bad day"

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Of dreams and ambitions




Its amazing how a human mind wanders. Here i am, working right now, and started to think about my past.

During Primary school, a common essay topic was being tasked by my english teacher. "what do you want to be when you grow up?"

I wrote that i want to be a policeman when i grow up, and arrest all the bad guys in the world. During that time, with my primary school mind, policemen are the heros. They braved their lives, throught gunfire (maybe i watched too much TV at that time) to arrest the bad guys. They investigate and think of brilliant ideas to trap the criminals.

During secondary school, my ambition changed. My mum had always want me to become a doctor or a lawyer, but being the rebellious me at that time, i rejected the idea straight. What do i want to become then? Well, I dreamed of being a scientist (invent new things), i got interested in science, but soon realise that i am hopeless in physics. More interested in Biology. Led me to have an interest in Biotechology course in Poly.

Tried very hard but managed to get into the course. My ambition changed again. What's new? I wanted to become a researcher (in medical science) or go into forensic science. I dream of finding cures to diseases, or to investigate crimes. (Guess that detective part of me still exist huh?). Then i realise that to be a researcher, you need at least a Master or a PhD. Diplomas and BSc can only wash test-tubes. And its almost impossible to go into forensics sciences too.(How many murders you see in Singapore everyday?)Only the best of the best of the best can go into forensics.

Look where i ended up working? Am in the TCM industry. More related to (Health Sciences area).

How many of you peeps out there got into the industry that they wanted since young? So, is it wrong to dream too much, coz prob, you would not get into it? How many parents want their child to get into well-paying jobs? How many of you have the ambition of being a taxi-driver or even a char kway Tiao seller? (I don't mean these 2 jobs are no good, i am just citing an example).

From young, people always wanted to follow their hero's footsteps, but as when they grow up, they realise that the world ain't perfect after all, and their dream job is either not easy to get, or, not as interesting as they seems to be. Then their ambition changed as they got new interest, hobbies.

So, is dreaming good? That question, you have to answer to yourself. What is your ambition?

Dream on.

Words of Wisdom from the S.O

There's no right or wrong in dreaming, but dream the correct dreams.

No comments: