Countdown timers

Alvin and the Chipmunks. "Bad day"

Friday, May 26, 2006

Of Decision making, Mac-donald and parking summons


I have a very fortunate life. Yes, sometimes i am broke, unable to get the things i want, or to save up for a long time to get the things i want. But think of this, I am not straving, i got a roof over my head, a job, a van, a TV and a DVD player in my room, my beloved computer. Am i living a good life?

To the many ppl out there in the streets, i am living in a very normal life, having things that are very normal and which the other process. But to some other less fortunate people, i am living in a life of luxury.

Interviewed someone today for a job opening in my company. He's not young, with a family of 3. He has been retrenched for quite some time now, his wife is not well, and his daughter is still schooling in a secondary school. He needs a job desperately, as been a sole breadwinner in the family. There's more to it that i shall not say, out of respect of privacy for that fellow.

To the many of you out there, the response is simple, just hire him. To me, i got other factors to weight on. Can he cope with the work? Can he handle the stress? Can he contribute to the company? Its not easy being in the management level, making decisions. Yes, my boss will back me up on the decisions i made, as long as it is justified. As a management level position, i am supposed to think more about the future of the company than other personnal life.

And also for the first time today, i got another major decision in my hands. Its about someone who has a medical problem, which makes him unsuitable for our daily company operations. Yes, i can follow the book, but i am putting myself in his shoes. Will i be affecting his future? What am i supposed to say if he applied for a job in some other company, and they called me for a reference? In the other retrospect, what happen if he substain injuries while working?

I hate making those types of decisions, but as a saying by Richard Marcinko, (founder of US Navy SEAL Team 6 and Red Cell) You don't have to like it, you just have to do it. I don't like it, but since i am sitting in the management chair, i have to do it, no matter how much i hate it, in fact, i have to get used to it, because, its just the beginning, and its gonna grow bigger.

My left middle finger got crushed at work. (NO FRACTURES LAH), but there's internal bruising and bleeding, and cannot close my finger, so, if you ask me to fold my hand into a fist, i will be showing you my middle finger instead. As at now, i am typing, i am feeling a lot better, can close liao, but will be in pain. RT tomorrow, see how i die.

Met up with Aaron at NUH after work. Both of us went down to Bukit Timah for a round of pool with Joshua. I need to vent off some stress of decision making. Monique came later, followed by Henry and Cai ning.

Went to Mac for dinner at Beauty World Center. Guess what we saw?

No one's cleared all the tables.


The burgers they serve us were only slighty warm. We were disappointed with the service. Worst is they got no napkins or paper towel. they had run out of it... Can you imagine it?


"enjoying" the food.

Went back to my van early, and managed to get off from getting a parking summon. Ahmad was near where my van was parked. Heng, has not reached my van. Drove off in a hurry.

RT tomorrow evening and Sunday morning. Going to be damm siong. Wish me luck.

Words of Wisdom from the S.O

* Experience usually arrives late and only after you had just needed it a few moments back.




No comments: