Countdown timers

Alvin and the Chipmunks. "Bad day"

Monday, May 15, 2006

A brother's love

Something happened on my way home just now. Run into the same ice-cream van which me and CY had chased all around BP a few days eariler. Bought an ice-cream and chatted with the ice cream seller.

Saw my neighbour bring her son (about 3 or 4 or 5 years old) down to buy ice cream. So, we went up together. In the lift, an uncle (whom we all know, but seriously, i don't know his name) ask the little kid to give him some ice cream to eat. The boy flatly refused again and again... Ahhh, the selfishness of the human race...

So the uncle said "You don't give me some ice cream, i shall carry away your baby sister". Upon hearing these words, the little boy immediately gave a scoop of his ice-cream to the uncle. The uncle refused, and the boy insisted, until the lift stopped and the uncle went out.

We continued on upwards in silence. I am thinking about other stuffs when upon reaching our floor, the little boy's mum (my neighbour) said "that uncle (me) is going to our house to carry away your sister."

The little boy grew panic, and started to chase after me (i was walking quite fast). When he realise that he could not outpace me, he started to do something that all of us (especially the gals) are good at... he started to cry, wail and scream. This stopped me in my tracks. I turned around and told him that i am going back home, and not to his home. He cried louder. His mum tried to explained that i am not going to carry away his baby sister, he cried louder still.

All these mayhem continued till i walk pass their house straight towards my doorstep, and hey persto!! He grew silent and suddenly he said one thing, " kor kor (brother) , bye bye"

It may sound comical to you readers out there, but, this struck me one thing. That little boy is only around 4 years old, but he protects his baby sister fiercely. Is this what we call brotherly love? he refused to give the ice cream to the uncle in the lift, (all humans are like that) but upon hearing that his baby sister might be carried away, he selflessly gave his ice cream away, and insisted when the uncle refused his ice cream?

He tried to stop me by chasing after me, and cried, wail, scream when he was informed that i am going to carry away his baby sister. All these actions only meant one thing. HE LOVES HIS BABY SISTER AND HE WILL NOT ALLOW HARM TO BEFALL HER.

His actions really deserve a salute from me, as i keep hearing things about sibling hatred, read about cases whereby family members, siblings sue one another over some trivial matters, and worst, murder of siblings. Are we all not comparable to that little kid? Are we worst than a 4 year old? I guess its time for me, you and all the others out there to do a reflection on how we treat our siblings. ( i have learn new things today). may god bless that little kid and his sister ever.

Ah yes, another thing i had learn from that little eposide... Kids will believe anything you tell them the first time, even when its meant to be a joke. And they will still believe it when you tell them the turth. So, in short, dun lie to kids.

No comments: