Countdown timers

Alvin and the Chipmunks. "Bad day"

Monday, December 31, 2007

Books that make me cry

Today, is the last day of 2007...

Somehow, i feel a bit sad about the new year... I don't really know why...

Perhaps its that i had not made any significant achievements in that one year.. Perhaps its that i am getting an year older... Perhaps its that i need time to adjust to write the new year when write dates, Perhaps its ........

I can think of a hundred and one reasons to feel sad about the progress of time...

These few days was supposed to be relaxing for me, with a chalet and a BBQ... But somehow, it got very tiring trying to relax.
EC relaxing at the chalet...

One. DT gave me a belated Christmas present.

Yes... It's a book. Titled "In the company of heroes" by Micheal J. Durant with Steven Hartov...

Does the name Micheal J. Durant sounds familiar to you?

Yes. He's the Blackhawk, Super Six Four pilot that was captured and made prisoner at the Somalia conflict, made famous by the movie, "Blackhawk Down".

The book tells about his 11 days in captivity, and his biography. How he was beaten, to being treated nicely during his stint as a prisoner, in a hostile city full of folks wanting to kill him.

At the last part, while reading a letter from a wife of a Delta soldier who died trying to save him, I cried. It was so touching...

Some extracts from the letter goes something like this...

"When i thanked you for giving Randy's death a purpose I meant it. It is not meant to detract from the bravery or heroism of the others that died, however, I can look at you and talk to you and see that his efforts were not in vain..."

"I want you to know that because of your bravery and refusal to give up while captured I can sleep at night. Your refusal to be defected and give up was as brave an act as Randy's..."

"I can live with the fact of knowing he died to save another man rather than had he died from a random bullet shot from a hidden source. If you knew Randy you would know that he was a very quiet and unselfish man. He always put others first and therefore it is fitting and appropriate that he died the way he did. Randy truly loved what he did and had God given him the choice of how to die I know in my heart he would have chosen to go down just as he did. I also know that had Randy been injured in a helicopter you would have piloted a helicopter in to save him no matter how dangerous the situation was..."

"I don't ever want you to question why you lived and Randy and the others with you did not. You lived to come back and give me some peace of mind to what would have been an otherwise unexplainable situation..."

"Just as Randy fought to save you, you fought and did not give up, perhaps not knowing you were fighting to save me... from a tortured mind and heart..."


I really was in tears when i read those sentences.

And yes. I finished the whole book in a single night.

No comments: